Admittedly, the Potwin clan celebrates the Thanksgiving holiday twice a year…once in October on Canuck soil with my Mummy and British Colombian cranberries, and the second time at home in New York with a parade and Maine cranberries. Each holiday has a different focus, though both are based on the foundation of taking stock in one’s life and celebrating the ‘good things’ . (Insert a Martha Stewart smirk here.)
This November, I am thankful :
- for victoriously creating public policy in which to fund library services to our neighboring town of Union Vale with my cohort directors in Millbrook, Beekman and Dover Plains. 72K is coming our way!
- for working with talented staff members who merge their creative skills and talents to make each work day an exciting place to be. Without their enthusiasm and strong work ethic, this work life would be a very soul sucking experience. (CP, you should witness this.)
- for Pumpkin Spice lattes.
- for the many issues of Mental Floss I have read this year. Driblets of useful trivia were gained. My quest to compete on Jeopardy is that much closer to reality. (What is the purpose of claiming to know useless knowledge if you can’t apply it somewhere? Hello, Cliff Claven.)
- for surpassing my Good Reads reading goal of 50 books this year.
- for having a child who enjoys reading.
- for my family being in good health, full of joy and happiness in their lives.
- for hooking a bass fish while on vacation on Lake Champlain, Vermont this summer. And for my husband who did not make me touch it.
- for spending more time with my Mummy.
- for successfully writing numerous grants totaling 31K to benefit my library and our services.
- for participating in the creation of a New York State Library Association grassroots movement to create a Library Sustainability round table.
- for Lego points which accrue (Parents of boys will understand the significance of this.)
- for Adele’s new album. Mind blowing. Simply mind blowing.
- for my little dude growing healthy and strong and for bike helmets to keep him safe.
- for the opportunity to travel within New England, to Chicago and home to Canada.
- (did I mention pumpkin spice lattes?)
- for being dismissed from jury duty because I am an alien.
- perfecting the art of rocking out a Silverado as the town librarian.
- for meeting James Patterson at BEA in NYC this year. James freakin’ Patterson….yaaaahhhhhhssss…..
- Amazon Prime.
- for having found a Firehouse Subs restaurant in Albany, New York.
- cardigan sweater sales at Talbots….cuz a a librarian must have a plethora of cardigans. It is a rule.
- for living in a country which is safe and allows me freedom and civility.
Above all else, I am grateful for a caring husband who loves to cook and has mastered the subtle art of cooking a turkey. I love you sweetie.
Happy Thanksgiving, dear reader.